We are hiring summer camp counselors for the 2021 camp season!
Please send application, resume, and cover letter to:
Tanglewood Nature Center
443 Coleman Avenue, Elmira, NY 14903
(607)732-6060 EXT. 105
Or email to:
Camp Counselor Essential Responsibilities:
· Report directly to the Camp Director and be responsible for supervision and education of all camp participants.
· Maintain a fun and safe environment for all participants.
· Organize and implement a weekly schedule for your camp group.
· Lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities will include crafts, nature exploration, environmental education, songs, games, hikes and live animal handling.
· Identify and respond to camper behavior issues.
· Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
· Help guide Counselors-In-Training (CIT’s) to have a deeper understanding of leadership and counseling skills.
· Assign duties to CIT’S and campers for daily set-up and clean-up of the camp area.
*position can possibly fill a college internship requirement- see your academic advisor to verify.
· Must be at least 18 years old to apply as Head Counselor, 16+ to apply as Assistant Counselor.
· Must be able to work Monday- Friday 8:00 AM- 5:15 PM
· Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
· Interest in some fields of science such as Biology, Environmental Science or Education.
· General knowledge of the New York ecosystems and love for nature.
· Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
· Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
· Strong organizational and communication skills.
· Must pass background check.
· Must be able to attend mandatory training sessions.
· Upon hire, completion of First Aid and CPR certification desired.
Must commit to working from Monday-Friday 8:00-5:15 from June 21st - September 3rd 2021.
The position is temporary and has an hourly rate with no benefits.
All counselors must participate in the training week immediately before camp (June 21st -25th) hours to be determined.
Summer Camp Application. (Same application form for Head and Assistant Counselors)